Acne affects both sexes equally, but men tend to have longer lasting acne than women because of the higher levels of testosterone within the body. Acne in adult men usually starts in their teens and stays with them into adulthood. While acne strikes adult women at a greater rate than men, they are not immune to it. The good news is acne can be treated successfully, even in adults. But why is it important to know what causes acne? Because it will help you treat it right, and get better results from your treatments.
Acne results from the disorder of the hair follicle. Excess oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria become trapped within the follicle, creating clogged pores. If the follicle wall ruptures, inflammation occurs and a pimple is created.
Most men will experience acne in four different areas with the greatest abundance of sebaceous glands: Face, Chest, Back and Buttocks.
The sebaceous glands are microscopic glands in the skin that secrete an oily matter called sebum. They are found in greatest abundance on the face. Oily face then makes the skin clogged with bacteria.
Acne on the back, or “backne”, is basically caused by the same things that cause acne on the rest of your body. Your body over produces sebum and mixes with dead skin cells and other things on our skin like dirt, oils, bacteria causing a break out. The pores and follicles can become clogged with dirt, lotions, soaps and even the remnants of dead skin cells. If a male does not wash his back properly, then these contaminants aren’t removed from the pores and follicles, thus acne results.
Exercise and sports increases the amount of sweat and oil produced by the skin, and sometimes this sweat and oil is not washed right away before it gets clogged in a pore or follicle. The sweat and oil trapped in the pore or follicle creates an acne bump but this can be avoided by using a towel frequently to wipe off excess sweat and oil.
Chest acne develops in the same way as regular acne does. Use an antibacterial soap that is especially formulated to treat acne. You might have to repeat the process depending on the product’s or your doctor’s recommendation.
However, you also need to make sure that you do not aggravate and cause acne scars by intensely rubbing your body to remove acne. Vigorously rubbing the infected areas will not only cause scarring but will also result in the spread of acne in different areas of the body.
Acne is associated with increased androgen levels and bad personal hygiene. This is especially true for acne on the buttocks. Sweat and dirt can build up between the underwear and the skin, leading to blocked pores.
There are several things you can do to prevent or reduce acne breakouts on the buttocks. Exfoliating the skin while taking showers keeps the pores from becoming blocked. Wearing loose-fitting cotton underwear reduces sweating.
CONTROL AND TREATMENT
Controlling acne relies on a two-pronged approach: proper treatment medications and a consistent daily skin care routine.
• Wash your face every morning and at night before going to bed. Use a mild foaming cleanser or acne soap to wash away excess oil. But don’t cleanse too often or scrub too hard as cleansing too frequently can be irritating to the skin.
• Don’t try to squeeze spots. This can make them worse and cause permanent scarring.
• Getting enough sleep is the best remedy for healing naturally. It is during this time that your body will replenish itself, getting rid of bad cells and will make new healthy cells. Quality sleep is the door that will lead you to less inflammatory processes, hormone balance and less stress, which will greatly improve the condition of your skin.
• Keep your bed with fresh linens. Change your sheets and pillow cases as often as possible. Doing this will help avoid clogging your pores with dead skin cells and oil absorbed by the fabric.
• Acne on the body can be irritated by sweat, so make sure you shower right after a workout. Anything that traps heat against the skin, or causes friction, can also worsen breakouts. This includes sports equipment, backpacks, purse and bra straps, and tight clothing. Try to limit these triggers as much as you can.
• A consultation with a dermatologist will help you find a treatment that will clear up your skin. The sooner you make that appointment, the sooner you will start seeing results.
** Acne Treatment Promotion 10,000 Baht/ 3 sessions of Acne Extraction + Laser + Acne Mask
Call 038-411190 or visit Nicha Clinic at Pattaya 2nd Road (Opposite View Talay Beach Condo and Central Festival Pattaya) for more information and to book a FREE consultation.