For a long time, there has been a tradition in Japan that women rub rice bran in or put rice bran oil on their face to keep their skin smooth. It was a tradition and people don’t know the real reason why rice bran or rice bran oil is effective in keeping skin smooth but it is thought that it relates to the functions of minor components of rice bran oil.
Rice bran oil, a medically significant lipid containing drug, is obtained from the husk of paddy and consists of embryo (germ) and endosperm of Oryza sativa family Graminae. You can obtain this oil as a byproduct in rice mill during polishing of rice after dehusking.
Rice bran oil contains three healthy antioxidants useful in protecting the body’s cells against the effects of free radicals–tocopherol, tocotrienol and oryzanol. Rich in Vitamins B and E, rice bran oil increases elasticity of your skin and keeps it hydrated and soft. Rice bran oil is unique in that it contains different kinds of vitamin B and vitamin E, making it a more complex and wholesome ingredient for your skin. Owing to the presence of vitamin E, Gamma-oryzanol, it is used for many alternative herbal therapies along with skin care products to prevent aging. Thus you can obtain a younger looking, wrinkle free and glowing skin with use of this oil.Vitamin E helps skin feel refreshed all the time. Rice bran oil is used in sunscreen as vitamin E protects skin against harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. The antioxidant property of this oil helps to overcome free radicals which cause damage.
In addition, this formula also contains refined vegetable Squalane, a phenomenal emollient derived from vitamin-rich olive oil that boosts the skin’s ability to naturally regenerate, nourish, hydrate, oxygenate and protect itself.
Rice bran oil is a powerful anti-aging complex known to protect the skin from aging and external aggression. It is also known to promote blood microcirculation, which is beneficial in reducing dark circles and puffiness.
Use of rice bran oil for skin
• It is used to exfoliate the skin by massaging it thoroughly within the face. This helps improve blood circulation thereby making the skin radiant and glowing.
• The anti-melanin property of rice bran oil comes into play when used as a sun block. It is also known to whiten the skin slightly thus making it effective as a skin lightening and fairness product.
• Benefits of rice bran oil for skin also include its property of keeping the skin incredibly soft. Polishing the face is popular in the Far East; Japanese women use both powder and oil for keeping their skin silky smooth.
• It can also be used as a substitute for lanolin to help control inflammation and soothe irritable skin. Alligator skin can be healed completely courtesy the rice bran oil.
• The oil extracted from rice bran can also be used as a carrier oil for blending numerous other medicinal oils as it gets absorbed within seconds leaving the skin velvety smooth.
• Using it on oily skin is not taboo either. The oil is light and does not linger on the surface of the skin increasing the oiliness despite containing numerous essential fatty acids.
- Gamma-oryzanol, ferulic acid: Beneficial for skin health. They have powerful antioxidant activity – –Phytosterols: anti-inflammatory, healing and restorative.
- Carotenoids: beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A), lycopene: healthy glow and natural antioxidants.
- Vitamin E: natural antioxidant.
- Enzymes (co-enzyme Q10, polyphenol oxidase…): protects the skin aging induced by free radicals.
- Minerals: calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper …