Emergency Decree necessary to guard against tumult: Suthep

Thai Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Monday said the Emergency Decree will not be revoked as the anti-government Red Shirts are still attempting to incite chaos.

Mr Suthep reiterated the current situation remains under control because of the enforcement of the Emergency Decree.

According to the deputy prime minister, who is also director of the  Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), said it will take time to assess the situation as there are movements of the Red Shirts both in Thailand and overseas intending to destabilise the Thai government and incite chaos.

Mr Suthep reiterated the current situation remains under control because of the enforcement of the Emergency Decree.

The deputy prime minister also said there are no confirmed reports that some Red Shirt leaders have already fled Thailand, while ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra never ceases his attempts to attack the Thai government via his Twitter homepage.

In a related development, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said it will forward 83 names of persons and organisations to suspected of having unusual transactions to Mr Suthep in his capacity as CRES director for the agency’s approval. The suspects will be summoned to clarify their
actions with the department from next Monday.

Mr Suthep reaffirmed the investigation on financial transactions is not an intimidation of anyone, but the process, which will examine the accounts for nine prior months to determine whether they were connected to the ‘terrorism’ of the Reds, will be done within one or two months.

The deputy prime minister gave assurances that the investigation will not affect the businesses of all 83 alleged persons as there will be leniency for those who need to use the accounts for business transactions such as salaries for their workers and production costs.

Following rumours over possible bribery being involved in the withdrawing names from the CRES blacklist, the deputy premier said so far no one has filed a complaint on the matter.

He said the accusation will not affect credibility of concerned agencies and that the rumours were meant to worsen the situation.

News item courtesy of www.mcot.net/EnglishNews

Pin It on Pinterest