House Registration Book

What is a House Registration Book?DSC_0127

House Registration Book or Tabien Bahn is an official document issued by the Local Municipality or District Office to Thai nationals as well as foreigners owning a residential property in Thailand, as a proof of a person’s permanent legal address and voting district.

There are two types of Tabien Bahn:

ρ Blue (Thor.Ror.14) issued to Thai nationals

ρ Yellow (Thor.Ror.13) issued to foreigners who meet specific criteria

Does Tabien Bahn confirm who owns the property?

The Tabien Bahn may or may not bear the name of the real owner of the house. This document only shows the house number and details of all the people living in a specific property and is not valid as a proof of real estate ownership. It only proves that the property has a registered address in Thailand. Ownership of property is verified by its title deed or Chanote.

What is the difference between the House Registration Book for a condominium and that for a house?

The House Registration Book for a condominium unit is the same as that for house and so is the application procedure. The only difference is that the type of housing is specified in the former as “Condominium”.

Can a Tabien Bahn be used as mortgage collateral?

No, only title deeds can be used as mortgage collateral. Tabien Bahn can simply be used as a proof of address of the person in official registration procedures.

What if a person owns more than one property in Thailand?

Although a person can own more than one house or condo unit in Thailand, each with a different Tabien Bahn, he or she can have only one principal residence, the Tabien Bahn for which is the only one in which he or she is allowed to have his or her name registered.

Can a Tabien Bahn be issued without the house owner’s name on it?

Yes, a Tabien Bahn can be issued without the house owner’s name on it. You have the right to change, register another person’s name into it or leave it blank. However, in the event that you need to sell the property and there is no name registered in the Tabien Bahn, you have to pay 3.3 percent business tax on the higher of the selling price and the assessed value unless the property is owned by a private person (not a company) for over five years, in which case you only need to pay 0.5 percent stamp duty and withholding tax, if any. Business tax will not have to be paid as well in cases where the owner’s name appears in the Tabien Bahn for over one year.

Will I be bound to fulfill any legal obligations if my name is registered in a Tabien Bahn? 

If registered in the Tabien Bahn as the owner, you have to fulfill the following legal obligations:

Birth Notifications – when there is a birth that took place in the house, either of the parents or you must inform the local registrar within 15 days.

Death Notifications – when somebody dies in the house, you must inform the district office or the police within 24 hours.

Moving Notification – when someone moves in or out of the house, you must inform the district office within 15 days.

House Number Application – when you plan to demolish an existing house, you must inform the district office and apply for a demolition permit. A construction permit must also be applied for before you can build a new structure. You then must request a new house number from the district office within 15 days after the construction has been completed.

Can a minor be registered in a Tabien Bahn?

A minor can be registered in the Tabien Baan as long as a Thai parent or a Thai guardian is registered along with him or her.

What if my Tabien Bahn is lost, can I reapply for a new one?

Yes, you just need to apply to the district office and they will issue a new Tabien Bahn for a minimal fee. You can either go to police station to secure a police report for lost Tabien Bahn to be submitted to the district office or go directly to the district office.

How do I move my name out from my current Tabien Bahn to register to a new Tabien Bahn?

The easiest way to have your name transferred out of your current Tabien Bahn to a new Tabien Bahn is to have both done at the district office that has jurisdiction over the house or condo unit you are moving into. This can be done within a day because all the district offices have online connection.

Pin It on Pinterest