Ghislaine Maxwell (60), Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-girlfriend and accomplice, has been sentenced to 30 to 55 years in prison. She was found guilty of several charges at the end of last year , including recruiting (underage) girls who were subsequently sexually abused by Epstein.
Maxwell helped her then-partner between 1994 and 2004. According to prosecutors and the victims testifying in the case, she had a significant role in the abuse. She won the trust of young, vulnerable girls, whom she deliberately chose, after which she groomed them and persuaded them to give massages to Epstein. Eventually, the abuse continued. The prosecutors’ document calls her actions “monstrous” and “shockingly predatory. ”
Breaking News: Federal prosecutors asked a judge to sentence Ghislaine Maxwell to at least 30 years in prison for helping Jeffrey Epstein abuse girls. https://t.co/RpvwrlGH9w
— The New York Times (@nytimes) June 23, 2022
Epstein was himself arrested in July 2019 but committed suicide in his cell a month later. According to Maxwell’s lawyers, she is now wrongly portrayed as a villain, because Epstein can no longer be punished. They argue for a lower prison sentence.
The judge will announce the sentence Maxwell will receive by June 28, but there is a good chance that she will spend the rest of her life behind bars.
WHO’S JEFFREY EPSTEIN?
- Jeffrey Epstein was suspected of sexually exploiting and abusing several underage girls. He allegedly lured the underage victims to different houses and had sex with them. He also paid them to arrange new girls for him. Some girls were only 13 years old.
- The wealthy American was a businessman and had good contacts with influential people such as Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Prince Andrew and other great businessmen. He owned a private island, also called Pedophile Island, where he allegedly sent hundreds of girls and young women. Several well-known figures are said to have made use of his network and the island.
- Jeffrey Epstein was arrested in July 2019. Ten years earlier, the billionaire had also been jailed for thirteen months for abusing dozens of girls. He then struck a deal with the prosecutor, which saved him from a life sentence.
- A month after his arrest, Epstein hanged himself in his cell. It is not clear how that could have happened. He had been in a suicide prevention program for several months because of a previous suicide attempt.
- His death raised many questions and several conspiracy theories arose. How could such a highly secured man commit suicide? Could his death have been faked? There is a docu-series about him on Netflix called Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich.
Catch up on more stories here
Follow us on Facebook here