Home International News Iran warns protesters: “This is the last day of the riots”

Iran warns protesters: “This is the last day of the riots”

After seven weeks of protests in Iran, the Revolutionary Guards are done. Commander Hossein Salami warned Iranian protesters today that they should no longer take to the streets. “Today is the last day of the riots.”

Salami warns all residents of Iran with this, but what exactly he means by this warning is not clear. The Iranian troops may be even tougher against the protests.

The warning is also aimed at foreign “enemies” . According to local journalists, Salami said the unrest in his country is being caused by the United States, the United Kingdom and Israel. Salami thinks these countries are working together to overthrow the Iranian regime. But the commander is not afraid. “If all of Iran’s enemies united, they would not be able to destabilize this regime.”

The riots in Iran are a reaction to the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Jina Amini. Women (and men) across the country are demonstrating against the vice squad and for their freedom. Demonstrations for women’s rights in Iran are also taking place in the rest of the world. At least 250 people have died in Iran during the clashes with the police, according to human rights groups. Thousands of people have also been arrested.


Mahsa Amini, 22, whose real first name is Zhina or Jina (Kurdish for ‘life’), was violently arrested on September 13 by the vice squad in the Iranian capital Tehran. The police check whether everyone follows the religious rules of the government and arrest women when they do not wear their headscarves (properly), walk in ‘trousers’ or otherwise do not comply with the dress code. This was also the reason for Mahsa’s arrest and therefore she would be taken to an ‘education center’ at the police station.


According to eyewitnesses, Mahsa was mistreated by the police. When her brother wanted to visit her at the police station, she was already on her way to the hospital. She died there a few days later. Authorities claim she died of ‘sudden heart failure’, but according to her family and witnesses, Mahsa went into a coma from blows to her head and had already been declared brain dead on arrival at the hospital. A United Nations commissioner demanded an investigation into the death, which the Iranian president ordered on Sept. 23 amid ongoing protests in both Iran and other countries.

Catch up on more stories here

Follow us on Facebook here

Exit mobile version