The 37-year-old Dane who was arrested last night on suspicion of a deadly attack with a bow and arrow in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg had been in the police’s view for some time. The Norwegian police announced this in a press conference. Police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said the man had been radicalized for some time.
NOTIFICATIONS ABOUT RADICALIZATION
The man converted to Islam more than a year ago and was being watched by the police because there were several reports that he had been radicalized. The police would have had contact with the Dane about this, but that was more than a year ago. Police said it is still unclear what his motive was for the attack. However, the perpetrator immediately confessed that he was behind the attack and acted alone.
FIVE DEAD AND TWO INJURED
The Dane is said to have started firing arrows at a supermarket in Kongsberg around 6:15 pm. He then continued into the city centre killing a total of five people and seriously injuring two others. The deceased victims are four women and a man and are said to have been between 50 and 70 years old. A police officer who was off duty at the time was also said to have been injured. The man was arrested half an hour after the attack.
— AEROSINT Division PSF (@PSFAERO) October 13, 2021
SITUATION UNDER CONTROL
Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg reassured the residents of Kongsberg and said that the police have the situation under control. The Norwegian royal family also sent a letter to the mayor of the city to know that they sympathized with the relatives of the victims.
Catch up on more stories here
Follow us on Facebook here