hand sanitiser
International NewsNews

Seven die after drinking methanol hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Two others remain in a critical condition in the intensive care unit of a hospital in Yakutsk, Russia, after being poisoned by the 69 per cent methanol hand sanitiser

Seven people have died and two more are in comas after drinking hand sanitiser at a party when they ran out of alcohol.

The group of nine drank the antiseptic hand wash at a party on Thursday in Tomtor village in the Yakutia region of Russia.

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59, while six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

On Friday three more men, aged 28, 32 and 69, had also died.

One more death was reported today, although their age and sex has not yet been released, while the other two remain in the intensive care unit.

They are being treated in Yakutia (Image: Hospital 2 Yakutia)

Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor reported: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.”

The regional state prosecutor said: “The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser.”Partygoers drank the sanitiser which was 69 per cent methanol.

Two remain in hospital after the incident (Image: Hospital 2 Yakutia)

It had been sold as a hand cleanser during the pandemic.

Health officials warned locals not to drink the Russian-made antiseptic.

A criminal case has been opened.

Mirror

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

Comments are closed.