electrical fire

  • Mall customers flee as Power Strip catches on fire.

    A big mall in Bang Phli District, Samut Prakan almost caught on fire causing customers to race to the exit. Smoke filled the mall with the source coming from a toy store. This story is a good warning to choose quality power strips with surge protectors and to not overload a power outlet. The incident was shared by a Facebook page named Here is Bang Phli in Thai on 12 December 2019.

    A picture was attached in the post showing the melted power strip and the remains of the fire that started to melt the cords. Smoke slowly started inside the toy store before it spread throughout the floor. Shop vendors and customers in the mall noticed the smoke and feared for a fire before rushing to the nearest exit. Luckily the store staff and the mall’s security guards put out the fire in time with fire extinguishers before the flames caught onto something else.

    561000012918103
    Credit: MGR Online

    The Sanook News Team went to the mall and discovered that the store with the source of the fire was locked up with metal chains. The security guards blocked off any media from entering or taking any footage near the toy store. The main cause of the fire is estimated to be an electrical fire from multiple power strips and extension cords. One of the power strips might’ve not had a surge protector and power overloaded in one of the cords that were too small or low quality.

    Credit: Chiang Mai Air Care
    Credit: Chiang Mai Air Care

    This incident is a good reminder that power strips are an extremely important product that needs to have certain quality guidelines when purchasing. Power strips can be bought in Thailand at prices as low as 20 THB. When taken apart, the low priced power strips reveal that they are made with 2 thin wires or metal bars inside that is expected to supply power to multiple electrical devices. On your next power strip purchase make sure to look for ones with surge protectors or at least one that has been approved by the TISI logo (Thai Industrial Standards Institute).

    Credit: Sanook
    Credit: Sanook

    FB Caption: A good reminder to why a 20THB power strip is not worth the savings.

    Source: Sanook, Facebook Page: ที่นี้….บางพลี

    Source

  • Mae Kim Heng Market destroyed by fire, Korat

    The Mae Kim Heng Market in Korat City, Nakhon Ratchasima Province was taken by flames on the night of 1 December 2019. Luckily no one was injured in the incident that is estimated to have been caused by an electrical fire. The start of fire likely sparked in the flower market zone. Officials from the Nakhon Ratchasima Office of Public Works and Town & Country Planning (DPT) went to inspect the fire to check the levels of damage throughout the market.

    The DPT was the first group to evaluate whether it was safe to go inside the building and to find the cause of the fire. The Investigation Police and related officials then followed in to secure the area off from the people in the area. The Integration Police received orders to keep watch that no one attempts to enter the market. As a result of the fire, the construction and the lights hanging down from the ceiling has now become very fragile. It is not worth risking your life to try and retrieve something left behind in the market.

    Upon inspection, the fire was likely caused by a short circuit that quickly spread throughout the market in a short amount of time. The concrete pillars have turned from white to brown, anything that wasn’t made from metal has melted onto the market floor. This includes the products that were in the market mostly being fresh goods such as fresh flowers, fruit, herbs and spices, raw animal products, local gifts, dried goods, and more.

    Credit: INN News
    Credit: INN News

    The Provincial governor stated that the damage is currently at approximately 50 Million THB. Mae Kim Heng is a popular market in Korat City, seen as the big central market and is one of the attractions in the city. Hopefully, the market will have a speedy and successful recovery as the market vendors now have nowhere to go, all dealing with the loss of their product stock that went down with the flames.

    FB Caption: The concrete pillars have turned from white to brown, anything that wasn’t made from metal has melted onto the market floor.

    Source

Back to top button