The Mae Kim Heng Market in Korat City, Nakhon Ratchasima Province was taken by flames on the night of 1 December 2019. Luckily no one was injured in the incident that is estimated to have been caused by an electrical fire. The start of fire likely sparked in the flower market zone. Officials from the Nakhon Ratchasima Office of Public Works and Town & Country Planning (DPT) went to inspect the fire to check the levels of damage throughout the market.
The DPT was the first group to evaluate whether it was safe to go inside the building and to find the cause of the fire. The Investigation Police and related officials then followed in to secure the area off from the people in the area. The Integration Police received orders to keep watch that no one attempts to enter the market. As a result of the fire, the construction and the lights hanging down from the ceiling has now become very fragile. It is not worth risking your life to try and retrieve something left behind in the market.
Upon inspection, the fire was likely caused by a short circuit that quickly spread throughout the market in a short amount of time. The concrete pillars have turned from white to brown, anything that wasn’t made from metal has melted onto the market floor. This includes the products that were in the market mostly being fresh goods such as fresh flowers, fruit, herbs and spices, raw animal products, local gifts, dried goods, and more.
The Provincial governor stated that the damage is currently at approximately 50 Million THB. Mae Kim Heng is a popular market in Korat City, seen as the big central market and is one of the attractions in the city. Hopefully, the market will have a speedy and successful recovery as the market vendors now have nowhere to go, all dealing with the loss of their product stock that went down with the flames.
FB Caption: The concrete pillars have turned from white to brown, anything that wasn’t made from metal has melted onto the market floor.