Syria

  • Syrian and Finnish man arrested in Thailand.

    A Syrian man was arrested in Thailand for carrying a fake passport on an international flight. Also caught in August, a Finnish man was arrested for beating up a Thai woman while he was attempting to leave the country.

    The Immigration Police arrested an 18-year-old Syrian man on 1 August 2019 using a fake Emirati passport which is a passport issued to citizens from the United Emirates (UAE) in Thailand. His original destination is England and he was using Thailand as a layover between his travels.

    Credit: INN News
    Credit: INN News

    The Syrian man was on his way to seek asylum in England with a fake passport. He stated that the fake passport was sent to him via post in Lebanon from his brother for the price of 1,500 USD. He then used the passport to travel to Thailand. He was arrested by officers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

    The officers discovered that he was carrying a fake passport from the Biometrics system that revealed the passport hidden inside the pocket in his pants. The man planned to stay in Thailand until the 8th of August when he was supposed to jump on a plane to England. Another ticket was purchased for a flight from London in England to Muchen in Germany.

    The Finland citizen was arrested under assault after he beat up a Thai girl in Chonburi Province and was on his way to leave the country. The victim filed a report with the police reporting what the Finnish man had done to her. The court has accepted her case with a timestamp of 22 August 2019.

    Credit: INN News
    Credit: INN News

    Officials received information about the wanted man on the same date as the court timestamp at 18.00. The Finnish man was found at the airport on the same day ready to leave the country at 21.00.

    The officials at the airport helped arrest the man. This was done by informing all immigration stakeholders to keep an eye out for a Finnish man who looked like the suspect. Officials include AOT, AOC, customs, Immigration Police, Suvarnabhumi officials, Tourism Police, and more. There is a team called “Immigration Home Team” who keeps track of international suspects on the run across the nation.

    FB Caption: The Syrian man was carrying a fake Emirati Passport while the Finnish man was trying to leave the country right after he beat up a Thai Woman.

    Source

  • IS runaway teen’s baby son dies in Syria

    The baby son of Shamima Begum, a British-born teenager who left London to join the Islamic State group, has died in Syria, the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces has said.

    Begum, 19, who was stripped of her citizenship by the British government despite her wish to return, gave birth last month in a refugee camp in northeastern Syria.

    The baby died of pneumonia, according to a medical certificate, the BBC reported Friday.

    Begum had previously given birth to two other children who are said to have died, apparently from illness and malnutrition.

    SDF spokesman Mustefa Bali confirmed the death to AFP late Friday but declined to specify how or when it happened. He had previously denied the baby had died in a Twitter post that has since been deleted.

    Her case has highlighted a dilemma facing many European countries, divided over whether to allow jihadists and IS sympathisers home to face prosecution or bar them from entry as the jihadists’ “caliphate” crumbles.

    The runaway teen, who left east London for Syria when she was 15 years old with two other schoolgirls, said last month she wanted to return to Britain after fleeing fighting between the terror group and US-backed forces.

    At the time, Ms Begum told the BBC: “Losing my children the way I lost them, I don’t want to lose this baby as well and this is really not a place to raise children, this camp.”

    – ‘Callous and inhumane’ –

    But British public sentiment hardened against Begum, who showed little remorse about IS attacks when she spoke to journalists at the refugee camp.

    Home Secretary Sajid Javid revoked her citizenship, deeming her a security risk, although the government had hinted her newborn son could be treated differently.

    Senior British opposition figure Diane Abbott called the UK government’s decision “callous and inhumane”.

    “It is against international law to make someone stateless, and now an innocent child has died as a result of a British woman being stripped of her citizenship,” she tweeted.

    British law states that the government cannot strip a person’s citizenship if that would make the person stateless, although the interior minister may do so if there are “reasonable grounds” to believe they can become a citizen of another country.

    It was reported that she could be eligible for Bangladeshi citizenship, but Dhaka said there was “no question” of her being allowed to enter the country.

    Javid has previously said that more than 100 individuals had already been deprived of their British citizenship.

    Last month he told British lawmakers: “Children should not suffer, so if a parent does lose their British citizenship it does not affect the rights of their child.”

    Aid group Save the Children called reports of the baby’s death “incredibly sad” and urged Britain and other countries to “take responsibility” for their citizens in Syria.

    “It is possible the death of this baby boy and others could have been avoided,” said the group’s Syria response director, Sonia Khush. “All children associated with (IS) are victims of the conflict and must be treated as such.”

    A mass exodus from the jihadists’ last redoubt in eastern Syria has sparked a humanitarian emergency, as the SDF leads an offensive to smash the last remnants of the IS territory.

    The International Rescue Committee on Friday said that 12,000 women and children had arrived at the Kurdish-run Al-Hol camp since Wednesday.

    Since December, at least 100 people have died en route to the camp or shortly after arriving, mostly children under five, the IRC said.

  • Wife of Japan journalist held in Syria pleads for his release

    The wife of a Japanese journalist kidnapped in Syria more than three years ago broke her silence Tuesday to plead for his release after he appeared in a hostage video.

     

    Jumpei Yasuda, a 44-year-old freelancer, was kidnapped in the war-torn country in June 2015, and appeared in a rare video that emerged last week warning that he was in a bad situation.

    “There are a lot of people in Japan — his family, relatives, friends — waiting for my husband,” his wife Myu told a news conference in Tokyo.

    “Please return my husband safe as soon as possible,” she said tearfully. “As his wife, as his family, I want him… to set foot back on Japanese soil.”

    Both men were wearing orange outfits similar to those of captives in jihadist hostage videos, with armed men whose faces were covered standing behind them.

    Myu, wife of Japanese journalist Jumpei Yasuda who went missing in Syria in 2015, speaks during a press conference at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo on August 7, 2018. The wife of a Japanese journalist held captive in Syria for more than three years made an emotional plea for his release on August 7 after he sought immediate help in videos.

     

    The videos did not identify which group was holding the men or include specific demands.

    Myu, who married Yasuda in 2008, said she had previously avoided speaking publicly about his abduction for fear she could affect negotiations for his release.

    But she said when she watched the video, she felt her husband’s situation was “not optimistic but urgent” and decided to publicly seek his release.

    The video also prompted some of the journalist’s friends and family to form a group to free him, campaigning to boost public awareness of the abduction.

    Yasuda is thought to have been seized by the group previously known as the Al-Nusra Front, a former Al-Qaeda affiliate, in northern Syria.

    But with the shifting territory of Syria’s complicated conflict, it is unclear whether he is still being held by his original abductors or has been transferred to other captors.

    In the latest video, he identified himself as Korean and gave a different name, but spoke in Japanese.

    He gave the recording date as July 25, saying he was in a bad situation and asking for help.

    His wife said she had no idea why Yasuda had identified himself as Korean in the video, but confirmed that it showed him and that he is Japanese.

    She said Japanese government officials were in frequent contact with her but she was not aware if a ransom had been demanded.

    In 2015 militants from the Islamic State group beheaded Japanese war correspondent Kenji Goto and his friend Haruna Yukawa in Syria.

    The Japanese government was criticised for what detractors saw as its flat-footed response to the crisis at the time, including apparently missed opportunities to free both men.

Back to top button